Girls on Ice is a unique, FREE, wilderness science education program for high school girls. Each year two teams of 9 teenage girls and 3 instructors spend 12 days exploring and learning about mountain glaciers and the alpine landscape through scientific field studies with professional glaciologists, ecologists, artists, and mountaineers. One team explores Mount Baker, an ice-covered volcano in the North Cascades of Washington State. The other team sleeps under the midnight sun exploring an Alaskan glacier.
“Girls on Ice is not a reward for past good grades or academic achievement, it is an inspiration for future success.”
Alaska program: June 19 – 30, 2015
North Cascades program: July 13 – 24, 2015
Congratulations to these young women selected for the 2015 Expeditions!
The 2015 Alaska team:
- Anecia Evan, Napaskiak AK
- Bernadette Franulovich, Ketchikan AK
- Kjerstan Matson, Whitehorse YT
- Terra Rovzar, Fairbanks AK
- Alejandra Saavedra, Oakland CA
The 2015 North Cascades team:
- Hailee Brown, Chandlar AZ
- Carah Burdette, Lexington KY
- Mari Harrison, Santaquin UT
- Emma Loney, Granite Falls WA
- Farzana Mohamedali, Olympia WA
- Ryan Reding, Granville OH
- Destiny Treloar, Sunrise FL
- Jasmine Vargas, Bronx NY
If you would like to help us spread the word about Girls on Ice, please feel free to download, print and distribute this Girls on Ice poster.