Girls on Ice Alaska
Girls on Ice has expanded to include a second program in Alaska! In June 2013, a team of 9 participants will spend 11 days exploring Gulkana Glacier and the alpine landscape surrounding it through an expedition with a professional mountain guide and young scientists.
Girls on Ice Alaska is primarily intended for Alaskan and Pacific Northwest girls. Applications for the program on Mount Baker in Washington will be considered in tandem with those for the Alaska program, so that the most diverse teams of girls can be selected for each expedition.
Each year the day to day details of the expedition change due to weather and glacier conditions!
The basic itinerary:
- Day 1: Meet the team
- Day 2: Drive to vicinity of Gulkana Glacier. Short introduction hike
- Day 3: Hike to basecamp overlooking Gulkana Glacier
- Day 4-8: Explore the glacier, the surrounding alpine meadows, and the upper mountain
- Day 9: Hike out and travel back to Fairbanks
- Day 10: Stay on University of Alaska Campus for closure activities
- Day 11: Head home